Subject: Re: Files Via Email.
From: "Andrew Church" <[email-masked]>
To: "amos-list" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Sep 93 20:33:00 EST

>To: [email-masked] (Mike Sikorsky)
>Cc: [email-masked]

  Please, please, don't do this!  It's not necessary!  I (and to judge from
the comments about this, many others) don't like getting 2 copies of a reply!

>Quite simply, files are NOT to be sent via Email around Usenet sites.

  Huh?  Where'd this come from?  I've sent quite a few of my files to the AMOS
list, all smaller than 4K, and nobody's complained.  Or are you just talking
about the "common-sense" of not sending huge files to mailing lists?

>And a LOT of people are on Usenet sites that connect while not in schools/etc.
>And I think that *ALL* files should go to Aminet.  So what if they're small,
>they could be of use to ANYONE.  Ship it to Michael, but don't put it in here,
>it only reaches us, what about the thousands of others who constantly LOOK for
>"just what they need" only to find it went thru here and not Aminet.

  Here's an idea:  How about if someone starts collecting procedures that are
posted here, and after a while, puts a procedure library on Aminet?  This
library could include stuff posted here as well as procedures people send to
the library-compiler to put in the library.  I'd be willing to take this on.
What are people's thoughts about this?

>I think it would have been better had Michael included a note in the welcome
>message stating all files are to be sent to Aminet either direct or Emailed
>to HIM only.  Not on the list.

  Well, yes, that would be good.  I do remember that after another instance of
this about 8 months ago (?) Michael posted a note suggesting that rather than
posting long files here, people post notices that the file is available and
can be emailed to anyone requesting it.  (After all, some people may not want
to put their stuff on Aminet; take, for example, my Columns game, which is not
finished yet.)  There's nothing wrong with posting reasonbly short procedures
or files here.

  --Andy Church

P.S.  Speaking of Columns, I've yet to receive any response from the testers.
Hello?  You still out there?